Monday, June 2, 2014

Decisions Decisions...

   "...man does have a choice of action. There were enough examples, often of a heroic nature, which proved that apathy could be overcome, irritability suppressed."

    I guess I should preface this post by saying that my life is in no way comparable to Viktor Frankl's life in various concentration camps. There is no pain or suffering I have endured that can be related to that of Frankl's. With that being said, I will proceed to compare my life to Frankl's.

     "The camp inmate was frightened of making decisions and of taking any sort of initiative whatsoever. This was the result of a strong feeling that fate was one's master, and that one must not try to influence it in any way, but instead let it take its own course."

    In this quote, Frankl describes the inmates lack of drive to make decisions, they prefer to let "fate" do the work for them. Frankl goes on to explain how when decisions are made they are most often quick decisions that lead to life or death. The most common decision made was whether or not to attempt escape. Frankl himself was faced with this decision and initially agreed to attempt escape, but later decided not to. His decision not to escape most likely saved his life, as the concentration camp was liberated shortly after. This type of irony is mentioned numerously in Frankl's stories.
    I think most people have felt, at some point in their lives, a hesitancy to make decisions. As I begin to think about college, this feeling is at its strongest. But I don't think my lack of initiative is quite the same as Frankl's. I'm not frightened to make decisions, as the decisions I make aren't quite life or death decisions. Rather my inability to make decisions is a result of stressful situations. For myself, stress shuts me down, which is a problem I should address, but that makes me stressed, so I don't. (It's a vicious cycle.) Frankl insists that, "Man can preserve a vestige of spiritual freedom, of independence of mind, even in such terrible conditions of psychic and physical stress." Frankl is challenging us to take control of ourselves, despite our surroundings trying to suppress us piece by piece. Frankl's words couldn't have come at a better time for myself, and hopefully they resonate with you as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment