"For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one's dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself." -Viktor E. Frankl
Viktor Emil Frankl is an Austrian neurologist, psychiatrist, and award winning author of Man's Search For Meaning. His memoir records his experiences whilst living in several concentration camps, but the majority of it discusses a pursuit of meaning, even in the most horrendous situations. Initially, while researching several non-fiction options, I was drawn to this book, because it's about the Holocaust, something that's always been a personal interest of mind. However, just after reading preface, I found this book to be much more than a recollection of memories. Frankl's in-depth analysis of spiritual survival is what really drew me to this book. As a highschooler who's been surrounded by white walls and white people for 13+ years of my life, depth, meaning, sustenance, spirituality, is often lost. Frankl's book is an exploration of those things I crave most.
No comments:
Post a Comment